Ottoman Slipcover #2Did you link up this week??
I slipcovered our large storage ottoman and it came out ok. It was my first attempt and I figured out what I did wrong. We have a smaller ottoman and I slipcovered it this weekend. It came out so much better and I'm really happy with it! Now they sort of match!
Here is the story! I started out with a brown leatherish ottoman that did not open. This made it so much easier than my first one!
I washed and bleached a 5x4 drop cloth. I draped it over the ottoman and cut off the bottom to where I wanted the ruffle to be attached.
Next I pulled and pinned the sides. The drop cloth has a little give to it so when all sides were pinned I went back and pulled areas a bit tighter and repinned. Since it was a drop cloth and both sides are the same it didn't matter which way I laid the fabric. But if one side had a pattern then I would have laid it with the pattern down, sewing the wrong side.
I trimmed the excess.
I used a few 3 inch wide pieces of material and sewed them together to make one long piece. I sort of measured and doubled it for my ruffle. I'm not a great measurer so I had to tweak it a bit but it was mostly right on. I made the ruffle by sewing a seam with my machine set on it's tightest tension but the longest stitch. I also tried to use as many of the drop cloth's actual seams for the ruffle so it would look neat and uniform. Let them do some of the work for me, I figure.
I sewed the ruffle into a loop and pinned it to the cover. Make sure to do it right sides together. Your right side for your cover is facing up now since it's on the ottoman. Don't do what I did and flip it inside out and sew it on. sigh.
Once the ruffle is on it's done!
So I tried to hang a large curtain rod in my dining room yesterday. It didn't go well. Apparently my heating duct runs up through the wall and it prevented both the drill and the anchor from going in properly. After I threatened to throw the rod through the window, Jim helped out. He got it up no problem and spackled my holes. Seriously, he always cleans up my messes! But one piece of business I was able to figure out myself is that it is almost impossible to use a drill to screw in screws when the hardware is in the way. So I used one of these. If you don't have one get one. It's a super long bit and it lets you get into tight places. I used it to make lots of holes for Jim to patch!
And lastly, I hung up the cruddy plaques I Mod Podged. I revealed the first two in this post but finished the third this week. They hang in our playroom now.
It's rainy but warmer here. So glad to get a break from the cold that I don't mind the rain at all!
More project reveals coming this week, too!